I strive to be sensible, reasonable, and otherwise normal.

Sunday, August 29, 2004

This is something that I too, overlooked

I found a link to a man's eBook in my "A Word A Day" email this morning, and I decided to check it out. He makes a point that egg-throwing, like the kind you did on field day back in elementary school, is not an Olympic sport. At first I thought it was a silly idea, but I realized that some people have a very real talent for it, and it is something that can be trained for, and it would help bring those lesser known countries to the Olympic Games. Think of Latvia. When was the last time you saw them win a gold medal, hmm? Well, every year, Riga celebrates its Dzires Kuldiga festival, which involves throwing eggs. Give Latvia a chance. It's a simple thing to judge, use fresh eggs, mark where the participants are standing, and if the egg breaks on the throw or the catch, they are out. The team that can throw the egg the farthest, unbroken, wins. Pretty simple, really. They wouldn't need to build a new field especially for this event, it could be done anywhere. It could possibly bring more spectators to the Olympics, partly because there would be more events, thus more tickets, but also because of the event's novelty and engaging allure. Think of the revenue gained by the Olympic Committee, the Games can only improve with the addition of such events. And I understand that it's best not to get carried away with too many events, but I think it would be worthwhile to let this one through. Think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Which author is the coolest?
J.K. Rowling
Terry Pratchett
Voltaire
Orson Scott Card
Dave Barry
J.R.R. Tolkien
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com