I strive to be sensible, reasonable, and otherwise normal.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Historylicious!

My sister introduced me to a book by Simon Schama entitled, "A History of Britain" (volume one).  I started reading it during my breaks at work, and I have ranked it among my favorite non-fiction books of all time.  Schama is witty in his writing, and there are so many interesting facts about Britain that I never knew.  And there are things that I did know as well.  Schama quoted a man called Snorri Sturluson, and I have read the exact book he mentioned.  There's nothing like the rush of an author quoting a book you have recently read!  Schama uses the kind of language that is easy to read, but not without also expanding one's vocabulary.  He certainly knows how to write better than I do, and he knows so much about his topic.  This book keeps me sane at work.  I am surrounded by filth and ignorance, but from 8:45 - 9:00 I can retreat into my own little personal Britain and relive the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 with the armies of Harold Godwineson and Harald Hadradi or watch the construction of William the Conqueror's Tower of London in 1078.  Mmmmmm, historylicious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Which author is the coolest?
J.K. Rowling
Terry Pratchett
Voltaire
Orson Scott Card
Dave Barry
J.R.R. Tolkien
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com