I strive to be sensible, reasonable, and otherwise normal.

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I have an appointment

I just called the Idaho Red Cross and made an appointment for next Monday at 5 PM to donate some of this blood that I have inside me. I figure, why not? My body makes more, it won't even miss the pint or the liter or two or however much they take. The needles don't even hurt going in AND I get to save someone's life. The first time I donated, I got a little Donor Card in the mail and it says, "I'm an active hero", how cool is that! And to top it off, I get a little colorful armband to wear for the rest of the night too. I love those things! I have only ever had one negative experience with blood donation, and that was when I found out I am allergic to Iodine. I had big lumps all over my arm and it kinda swelled a little, but I was fine after about two and a half weeks. I like to think of giving blood as donating to a thrift store. I certainly don't need all of my blood and someone else is lacking. But people shopping in thrift stores can't just buy any clothes, they have to fit. The Red Cross says that I have blood that fits a lot of people. When I donate, I am not giving them trash, my blood is useful. My blood is like the t-shirts at DI, the really cool ones that make the owner proud. Someone is getting a brand new pair of shoes, or maybe a bike that isn't missing two wheels. I am giving valuable blood, it's not worn out or dirty. That's why I like to donate blood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Which author is the coolest?
J.K. Rowling
Terry Pratchett
Voltaire
Orson Scott Card
Dave Barry
J.R.R. Tolkien
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com