I strive to be sensible, reasonable, and otherwise normal.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

A Celebration List

Yesterday's posting marked my 25th blog posting for this particular blog. Way to go Brian! You're a regular geek now. But that's all I really want anyway. It has long been a goal of mine to be considered "one of the nerds", but I'm afraid I can't make myself enjoy video games and manga enough. And I'm no good at math. I have several friends who call themselves "book nerds", and several that call themselves "music nerds." These are my kinds of nerds. The ones who take math classes for fun won't accept me. I once made a list of all the different things one could be "nerdy" about. Let me see if I can recreate a list.

Lord of the Rings
Star Trek
Star Wars
History
Warfare & Weaponry
Classic Literature
Music (Classical)
Music (Entirely Unknown Artists)
A club or organization such as BSA, SCA, or any number of others
Math
Computers (Assembling)
Computers (Programming)
Anime, Manga, etc.
Video Games, Strategy, RPG, FPS, Tetris, Solitaire, Pinball, PacMan etc.
Biology, Geology, Astronomy, and above all, Physics
Engineering, machinery
Sports, Knowledge of athletes/stats/history
Geography
Science Fiction/Fantasy Novels
Health
Celebrities
Fashion
Outdoors activities (hunting, fishing, hiking, etc.)
Fantasy games, reenactments (D&D particularly)
Cars
Art
Domestic Arts (sewing, quilting, cooking)
Business

As you can see, it's fairly easy to fall into one or more of these categories. I fit at least 8. Can you name them?

I guess this list makes me kinda nerdy, like I said before- not enough to be called a true nerd. It's really hard to fit all of these. The math and physics people generally shy away from books, and the gamers usually don't get into the history as much. I would be amazed if I met someone who could be associated with every one of these. I would be honored to learn at his/her feet. For a while, anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger juxtaposer said...

You forgot to mention fricatives.

11:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Which author is the coolest?
J.K. Rowling
Terry Pratchett
Voltaire
Orson Scott Card
Dave Barry
J.R.R. Tolkien
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com