I strive to be sensible, reasonable, and otherwise normal.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Rs and Ls

I should have used the last five hours to write letters, but instead, all I accomplished was checking my email, writing a post for my other blog, and reading today's 100 Hour Board answers. I feel pathetic. Is that really the best use of my time? I think it's not. I need to get involved with something. I know that the Zeitgeist Half Marathon is looking for volunteers. I volunteered at a race once and it was really fun. It was a year ago, at the Parents' Weekend 5K down at the Y. I got to take the race tags from people and hang them in order on a piece of tape, thus showing the order in which all participants crossed the line. I kinda got dragged into it, but I'm glad I went. I almost missed out on something cool. The problem with the upcoming Zeitgeist race is that it is the same day as my brother's birthday. Maybe I should stay home and hang with him. I guess I could help out at the Team Depot project cleaning North Nampa. That doesn't sound as fun as the race though. Maybe I should just suck it up and help out. Maybe I should do both. That sounds good. Maybe I should take my brother with me, I'm sure they wouldn't mind having another extra helper, and maybe they'd reward him really well for his sacrifices.

I wish it was easier to find service opportunities around here. I found out about these two this morning in the paper. But there are probably hundreds of projects, maybe some ongoing ones, that need more volunteers. If the newspaper had a section that was like the classifieds for service, I bet people would at least look through them. One of the hardest things about planning a service project is finding the project. It's super easy to get people to go once they know about the need, but I never know where to start looking. Scout leaders always have a hard time finding projects, but there are TONS of groups and individuals just wishing that a scout troop would come along. It's not that easy. Scouts will come if they know they are needed. Same with a lot of people. BSU I'm sure has some organization that finds projects that need doing. Maybe I should look around and find a contact from Boise State.

It's hard living in Boise and not being a student. I got so used to going to concerts and plays and things, but now I have trouble finding entertainment of that callibre. The "Scene" section of the paper comes every Friday and they list different shows that are going on, but they never have anything that I'm interested in. Opera Idaho doesnt always make it into the paper, the Philharmonic doesn't make it, and none of the BSU events are listed, so basically all I get are the comedy clubs, bars and rock concerts of unknown local artists. I know there are things going on. Maybe I should find the Morrison Center's itinerary for the next month. It would be so much easier to find cool events if I had friends in them. I do have a couple of friends in Symphonic Winds at BSU, but I don't know when they perform. Last year I had it lucky because I lived with members of the jazz bands and various choirs and other clubs. It's great being a student, especially when your friends are all incredibly talented. Oh well, I might have to get used to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Which author is the coolest?
J.K. Rowling
Terry Pratchett
Voltaire
Orson Scott Card
Dave Barry
J.R.R. Tolkien
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com